Browse Items (13 total)
- Tags: extant buildings
Scarsdale Before and After
Two views of two stations at Scarsdale. The station in the second image still stands, completed in 1902 and designed by Reed and Stem in the Tudor Revival style to match other local buildings.
Bronxville Station and Hotel Gramatan
Bronxville station, completed in 1917, was constructed in the Mission Revival style, intended to match the nearby Hotel Gramatan, which was likewise in that style. The hotel is the building located behind the station and tree line in this postcard view.
Postcard depicting the Tudor revival station at Scarsdale, constructed in 1902.
Depot Square, Tuckahoe
Centerpiece of the village of Tuckahoe, Depot Square features the notable Tuckahoe Village Hall, constructed in 1911, and the train station, both visible in this postcard view. The train station now hosts a Starbucks, and the Village Hall is now the Westchester Italian Cultural Center.
Bedford Hills station
Postcard view of the station at Bedford Hills. The station still stands and has been adaptively reused for retail purposes.
Grand Central Theatre
A postcard advertising the newsreel movie theatre in Grand Central, adjacent to track 17 where the retail shops in the Graybar passage are currently located.
Chatham Union Station
The depot at Chatham served as the final stop along the Harlem Division, and was also serviced by the Rutland, and Boston and Albany Railroads.
Postcard view of the station at Katonah, constructed in 1910 and now privately owned.
Postcard depiction of the station, tracks, and platform at Bedford Hills.
The Wassaic House, a hotel located alongside the railroad tracks, was built in 1851 and owned by wealthy local Noah Gridley. Gridley was also a financial backer for Gail Borden’s milk condensery, which with the railroad and Gridley’s own iron works, were the three most influential industries in the history of Wassaic. The building still exists today, and is used as artist studios as part of the Wassaic Project.
Dover Plains, Labor Day 1908
A real photo postcard depicting the Labor Day festivities near the train station in 1908
Grand Central and Commodore Hotel
The Commodore Hotel opened alongside Grand Central in January of 1919. In the 1980s the hotel was encased in glass and renamed the Grand Hyatt. Today, the building is closed, with demolition expected in the near future.
Saturday Evening Post Cover
Cover of the Saturday Evening Post from November 16, 1946, featuring the Norman Rockwell painting of Crestwood station.