Browse Items (51 total)

Mount Kisco Wood Working Company

Mount Kisco Wood Working Company

Located approximately one half mile north of Mount Kisco station, Mount Kisco Wood Working's shop was adjacent to the Harlem's tracks on Hubbell's Drive. Today Hubbell's Drive no longer crosses at grade, but finishes at a dead end on the west side of the tracks. On the east side of the tracks is the Mount Kisco Commons strip mall.
Guide to Metro North

Guide to Metro North

Introduction to the Metro North system, detailing Grand Central Terminal, the Harlem, Hudson, and New Haven Lines, and other topics including Safety and Comfort and Equipment and Shops.

Date: 1986

Purdys Station

Purdys Station

Postcard showing the station at Purdys, which was demolished to make way for the construction of I-684.
Harlem Valley Transportation Association Logo

Harlem Valley Transportation Association Logo

The HVTA was a nonprofit citizens group of approximately 500 individuals, led by activist Lettie Gay Carson of Mount Riga and later Millerton. The group is largely remembered for fighting to retain both passenger and freight service along the upper Harlem Division in the 1960s and 1970s.

The logo was used on their printed documents and surveys sent to train riders.

Date: 1960

Wingdale crossing

Wingdale crossing

Postcard showing a grade crossing in Wingdale, where today's Pleasant Ridge Road / County Route 21 is located.
Mount Vernon - Yonkers Trolley

Mount Vernon - Yonkers Trolley

The old bridge over the Bronx River carries the Mount Vernon to Yonkers trolley in this postcard view. The river serves as a natural boundary between the two cities. Mount Vernon West station is visible in the background. The current bridge at this location was constructed in 1954.
Grand Central Theatre

Grand Central Theatre

A postcard advertising the newsreel movie theatre in Grand Central, adjacent to track 17 where the retail shops in the Graybar passage are currently located.
Dover Plains, Labor Day 1908

Dover Plains, Labor Day 1908

A real photo postcard depicting the Labor Day festivities near the train station in 1908

Date: 1908

Grand Central Terminal Skylight

Grand Central Terminal Skylight

Postcard showing the main concourse of Grand Central Terminal with no information booth, and a skylight in the ceiling instead of the sky ceiling painting. This concept was later rejected due to cost.
Katonah station

Katonah station

Postcard view of the station at Katonah, constructed in 1910 and now privately owned.
Bronxville Station and Hotel Gramatan

Bronxville Station and Hotel Gramatan

Bronxville station, completed in 1917, was constructed in the Mission Revival style, intended to match the nearby Hotel Gramatan, which was likewise in that style. The hotel is the building located behind the station and tree line in this postcard view.
Bedford Hills station

Bedford Hills station

Postcard view of the station at Bedford Hills. The station still stands and has been adaptively reused for retail purposes.
Harlem Valley Transportation Association Letterhead

Harlem Valley Transportation Association Letterhead

The HVTA was a nonprofit citizens group of approximately 500 individuals, led by activist Lettie Gay Carson of Mount Riga and later Millerton. The group is largely remembered for fighting to retain both passenger and freight service along the upper Harlem Division in the 1960s and 1970s.

The letterhead was used on their printed documents and surveys sent to train riders.

Date: 1960

Grand Central Centennial Official Program

Grand Central Centennial Official Program

Official program detailing the events and exhibits related to the celebration of Grand Central Terminal's centennial.

Date: 2013

Wassaic House

Wassaic House

The Wassaic House, a hotel located alongside the railroad tracks, was built in 1851 and owned by wealthy local Noah Gridley. Gridley was also a financial backer for Gail Borden’s milk condensery, which with the railroad and Gridley’s own iron works, were the three most influential industries in the history of Wassaic. The building still exists today, and is used as artist studios as part of the Wassaic Project.
Grand Central Terminal Suburban Level

Grand Central Terminal Suburban Level

The train gates on the lower level of Grand Central Terminal were used for suburban traffic of the New York Central and New York, New Haven, and Hartford. The Terminal was designed to have purpose-based designated areas - commuter and long distance departures, as well as a room for arrivals.

Date: 1912

White Plains Electric Service

White Plains Electric Service

Scene at White Plains, prior to 1914 when a new station by Warren & Wetmore was constructed, and after 1907 when service on the Electric division commenced.
Grand Central Barber Shop

Grand Central Barber Shop

Postcard showing the official Grand Central Terminal Barber Shop, operated by James Carey. Carey was a trained barber who operated 25 barber shops, but sold his business to focus on business ventures in Grand Central. The basement area in Grand Central known as "Carey's hole" is named after him.
Old and New Bridges at Towners

Old and New Bridges at Towners

Images of the two bridges that carried the Maybrook Line over the Harlem at Towners
Thornwood Station

Thornwood Station

When the Harlem Line north of White Plains was being electrified, all stations were required to have an updated high-level platform. Due to the track curvature at Thornwood it was not a good candidate for this upgrade, and the station was closed in 1984. By this time the old station depictured in this postcard had been replaced by a squat brick structure, which still stands and is occupied by the local Chamber of Commerce.
Concerning the New Grand Central Station

Concerning the New Grand Central Station

Four-Track Series number 33, entitled the Center of the First City of the World, Concerning the New Grand Central Station of the New York Central Lines.

Date: 1904

Mount Kisco Railroad crossing

Mount Kisco Railroad crossing

View of the grade crossing at Main Street in Mount Kisco. Today Main Street has been grade separated, and travels over the Harlem's tracks.
Bedford Hills

Bedford Hills

Postcard depiction of the station, tracks, and platform at Bedford Hills.
Valhalla, Railroad Avenue

Valhalla, Railroad Avenue

Postcard showing Railroad Avenue, located near the Kensico Cemetery, in Valhalla.
Scarsdale Before and After

Scarsdale Before and After

Two views of two stations at Scarsdale. The station in the second image still stands, completed in 1902 and designed by Reed and Stem in the Tudor Revival style to match other local buildings.
Swamp River, Wingdale

Swamp River, Wingdale

The Swamp River is a part of the Great Swamp Watershed, which covers over 6,000 acres in the Harlem Valley and is one of the largest freshwater wetlands in New York. The river roughly parallels the Harlem Line from Pawling to Dover Plains. The depicted postcard scene is just north of the old Wingdale station, where the river runs the closest to the tracks near Pleasant Ridge Road.
Wingdale Station

Wingdale Station

The original Wingdale station, which was located near the current Pleasant Ridge Road.
Hawthorne station

Hawthorne station

Postcard view of the stone station at Hawthorne, similar in style to neighbor Pleasantville, constructed circa 1905 and demolished circa 1950.
Goldens Bridge, Express train to NYC

Goldens Bridge, Express train to NYC

An express train to New York City heads southbound along the Harlem Division through Goldens Bridge.
Grand Central Customer Service Guide

Grand Central Customer Service Guide

Brochure by Metro North Railroad explaining important things to know about Grand Central Terminal, and where to get help.

Date: 1986

Brewster station and freight house

Brewster station and freight house

Postcard view of the station and freight house at Brewster sometime before 1931 when the current Tudor revival station was completed.
Quiet Car Card

Quiet Car Card

Colloquially known as a "Shhh card" these cards were given to Metro-North conductors to hand out to passengers during the rollout of Quiet Car program, called "Quiet Calm-mute"

Date: 2010

Depot Square, Tuckahoe

Depot Square, Tuckahoe

Centerpiece of the village of Tuckahoe, Depot Square features the notable Tuckahoe Village Hall, constructed in 1911, and the train station, both visible in this postcard view. The train station now hosts a Starbucks, and the Village Hall is now the Westchester Italian Cultural Center.
Towners station

Towners station

Real photo postcard depicting the station at Towners, located on the Harlem Division near the crossing with the New York and New England Railroad.
Amenia station

Amenia station

Postcard view of the station at Amenia. Passenger service to Amenia was discontinued in 1972, and has now been converted into a rail trail.
Williams Bridge Station

Williams Bridge Station

Postcard depicting the station at Williams Bridge, originally located on the southeast corner of Gun Hill Road.
Scarsdale station

Scarsdale station

Postcard depicting the Tudor revival station at Scarsdale, constructed in 1902.
Grand Central Station

Grand Central Station

The original Grand Central Depot was renovated and expanded by architect Bradford Gilbert. Now renamed Grand Central Station, the building featured a new waiting room for passengers and three additional floors for railroad offices.
Grand Central Theatre

Grand Central Theatre

A postcard advertising the newsreel movie theatre in Grand Central, adjacent to track 17 where the retail shops in the Graybar passage are currently located.
Saturday Evening Post Cover

Saturday Evening Post Cover

Cover of the Saturday Evening Post from November 16, 1946, featuring the Norman Rockwell painting of Crestwood station.

Date: 1946

Grand Central and NY Central Building

Grand Central and NY Central Building

Postcard showing Grand Central Terminal and the New York Central Building behind it. The 35 story railroad office tower is located at 230 Park Avenue and is known today as the Helmsley Building.
Ten Years Running Bookmark

Ten Years Running Bookmark

Bookmark printed to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Metro-North Railroad.

Date: 1993

110th Street to Grand Central Ticket

110th Street to Grand Central Ticket

Ticket from Grand Central to 110th Street, stamped in Grand Central Depot on August 12, 1891

Date: 1891

Chatham Union Station

Chatham Union Station

The depot at Chatham served as the final stop along the Harlem Division, and was also serviced by the Rutland, and Boston and Albany Railroads.
Grand Central Depot

Grand Central Depot

A decorated postcard depicts Grand Central Depot, designed by Henry Snook and completed in 1871. The station took up nearly 21 acres of space, and stretched from 42nd street to 56th street between Lexington and Madison Ave.
Dover Furnace Station and Mutual Milk

Dover Furnace Station and Mutual Milk

The former Dover Furnace station and the Mutual Milk Company, located near the current Dover Furnace Road.
White Plains Station and Platform

White Plains Station and Platform

Postcard of the station and platform at White Plains, prior to 1914 when a new station by Warren & Wetmore was constructed.
Grand Central and Commodore Hotel

Grand Central and Commodore Hotel

The Commodore Hotel opened alongside Grand Central in January of 1919. In the 1980s the hotel was encased in glass and renamed the Grand Hyatt. Today, the building is closed, with demolition expected in the near future.
Harlem Valley Transportation Association Posters

Harlem Valley Transportation Association Posters

The HVTA was a nonprofit citizens group of approximately 500 individuals, led by activist Lettie Gay Carson of Mount Riga and later Millerton. The group is largely remembered for fighting to retain both passenger and freight service along the upper Harlem Division in the 1960s and 1970s.

These posters were used to promote the Association in communities along the railroad line. The original set contained a total of nine posters, each highlighting a specific area the members wanted to see…

Date: 1960

Train arrives at Lake Mahopac

Train arrives at Lake Mahopac

The Harlem Division's Lake Mahopac branch was a 7.22 mile extension from Goldens Bridge terminating at Lake Mahopac. The branch connected the Harlem and Putnam Divisions.