Postcards

A collection of historical railroad postcards, focused on the Harlem Division of the New York Central Railroad.

bedford.jpg
Postcard depiction of the station, tracks, and platform at Bedford Hills.

Tags: , , , , ,

kisco.jpg
View of the grade crossing at Main Street in Mount Kisco. Today Main Street has been grade separated, and travels over the Harlem's tracks.

Tags: , , ,

gcstation.jpg
The original Grand Central Depot was renovated and expanded by architect Bradford Gilbert. Now renamed Grand Central Station, the building featured a new waiting room for passengers and three additional floors for railroad offices.

Tags: , ,

scarsdale.jpg
Postcard depicting the Tudor revival station at Scarsdale, constructed in 1902.

Tags: , , , ,

scarsdale4.jpg
Two views of two stations at Scarsdale. The station in the second image still stands, completed in 1902 and designed by Reed and Stem in the Tudor Revival style to match other local buildings.

Tags: , , , ,

gct.jpg
Postcard showing the main concourse of Grand Central Terminal with no information booth, and a skylight in the ceiling instead of the sky ceiling painting. This concept was later rejected due to cost.

Tags: , ,

whiteplains.jpg
Postcard of the station and platform at White Plains, prior to 1914 when a new station by Warren & Wetmore was constructed.

Tags: , , , ,

towners.jpg
Images of the two bridges that carried the Maybrook Line over the Harlem at Towners

Tags: , , , ,

bedford2.jpg
Postcard view of the station at Bedford Hills. The station still stands and has been adaptively reused for retail purposes.

Tags: , , , , ,

wingdale4.jpg
The Swamp River is a part of the Great Swamp Watershed, which covers over 6,000 acres in the Harlem Valley and is one of the largest freshwater wetlands in New York. The river roughly parallels the Harlem Line from Pawling to Dover Plains. The…

Tags: , ,

mountkisco_woodworking.jpg
Located approximately one half mile north of Mount Kisco station, Mount Kisco Wood Working's shop was adjacent to the Harlem's tracks on Hubbell's Drive. Today Hubbell's Drive no longer crosses at grade, but finishes at a dead end on the west side of…

Tags: , , , ,

amenia.jpg
Postcard view of the station at Amenia. Passenger service to Amenia was discontinued in 1972, and has now been converted into a rail trail.

Tags: , , , , , ,

purdys.jpg
Postcard showing the station at Purdys, which was demolished to make way for the construction of I-684.

Tags: , , , ,

gcdepot.jpg
A decorated postcard depicts Grand Central Depot, designed by Henry Snook and completed in 1871. The station took up nearly 21 acres of space, and stretched from 42nd street to 56th street between Lexington and Madison Ave.

Tags: , ,

chatham6.jpg
The depot at Chatham served as the final stop along the Harlem Division, and was also serviced by the Rutland, and Boston and Albany Railroads.

Tags: , , , , , ,

gctsuburban.jpg
The train gates on the lower level of Grand Central Terminal were used for suburban traffic of the New York Central and New York, New Haven, and Hartford. The Terminal was designed to have purpose-based designated areas - commuter and long distance…

Date: 1912
Tags: , , , ,

towners.jpg
Real photo postcard depicting the station at Towners, located on the Harlem Division near the crossing with the New York and New England Railroad.

Tags: , , , , , ,

wingdale.jpg
The original Wingdale station, which was located near the current Pleasant Ridge Road.

Tags: , ,

theatre1.jpg
theatre1b.jpg
A postcard advertising the newsreel movie theatre in Grand Central, adjacent to track 17 where the retail shops in the Graybar passage are currently located.

Tags: , , , , , ,

thornwood.jpg
When the Harlem Line north of White Plains was being electrified, all stations were required to have an updated high-level platform. Due to the track curvature at Thornwood it was not a good candidate for this upgrade, and the station was closed in…

Tags: , , , ,

goldens.jpg
An express train to New York City heads southbound along the Harlem Division through Goldens Bridge.

Tags: , ,

brewster.jpg
Postcard view of the station and freight house at Brewster sometime before 1931 when the current Tudor revival station was completed.

Tags: , , , , ,

gct_commodore.jpg
The Commodore Hotel opened alongside Grand Central in January of 1919. In the 1980s the hotel was encased in glass and renamed the Grand Hyatt. Today, the building is closed, with demolition expected in the near future.

Tags: , , ,

tuckahoe3.jpg
Centerpiece of the village of Tuckahoe, Depot Square features the notable Tuckahoe Village Hall, constructed in 1911, and the train station, both visible in this postcard view. The train station now hosts a Starbucks, and the Village Hall is now the…

Tags: , , ,

dover.jpg
A real photo postcard depicting the Labor Day festivities near the train station in 1908

Date: 1908
Tags: , , , ,

bronxville5.jpg
Bronxville station, completed in 1917, was constructed in the Mission Revival style, intended to match the nearby Hotel Gramatan, which was likewise in that style. The hotel is the building located behind the station and tree line in this postcard…

Tags: , , , ,

hawthorne.jpg
Postcard view of the stone station at Hawthorne, similar in style to neighbor Pleasantville, constructed circa 1905 and demolished circa 1950.

Tags: , , , ,

gctb.jpg
nycb2.jpg
Postcard showing Grand Central Terminal and the New York Central Building behind it. The 35 story railroad office tower is located at 230 Park Avenue and is known today as the Helmsley Building.

Tags: , , ,

theatre2.jpg
theatre2b.jpg
A postcard advertising the newsreel movie theatre in Grand Central, adjacent to track 17 where the retail shops in the Graybar passage are currently located.

Tags: , , , ,

whiteplains2.jpg
Scene at White Plains, prior to 1914 when a new station by Warren & Wetmore was constructed, and after 1907 when service on the Electric division commenced.

Tags: , , , , ,

valhalla.jpg
Postcard showing Railroad Avenue, located near the Kensico Cemetery, in Valhalla.

Tags: , , ,

lakemahopac2.jpg
The Harlem Division's Lake Mahopac branch was a 7.22 mile extension from Goldens Bridge terminating at Lake Mahopac. The branch connected the Harlem and Putnam Divisions.

Tags: , , , ,

wingdale.jpg
Postcard showing a grade crossing in Wingdale, where today's Pleasant Ridge Road / County Route 21 is located.

Tags: , , , ,

wassaichouse.jpg
The Wassaic House, a hotel located alongside the railroad tracks, was built in 1851 and owned by wealthy local Noah Gridley. Gridley was also a financial backer for Gail Borden’s milk condensery, which with the railroad and Gridley’s own iron works,…

Tags: , , ,

katonah.jpg
Postcard view of the station at Katonah, constructed in 1910 and now privately owned.

Tags: , , , , ,

doverfurnace.jpg
The former Dover Furnace station and the Mutual Milk Company, located near the current Dover Furnace Road.

Tags: , , ,

williamsbridge.jpg
Postcard depicting the station at Williams Bridge, originally located on the southeast corner of Gun Hill Road.

Tags: , , , , ,

barber1.jpg
barber2.jpg
Postcard showing the official Grand Central Terminal Barber Shop, operated by James Carey. Carey was a trained barber who operated 25 barber shops, but sold his business to focus on business ventures in Grand Central. The basement area in Grand…

Tags: , , ,

mtvernon.jpg
The old bridge over the Bronx River carries the Mount Vernon to Yonkers trolley in this postcard view. The river serves as a natural boundary between the two cities. Mount Vernon West station is visible in the background. The current bridge at this…

Tags: , , , , , ,

View all 39 items